Many owners and managers of commercial buildings are benchmarking their buildings voluntarily. Benchmarking helps them increase energy efficiency and reduce operating costs, which can also help raise property values.
You may be required to disclose your building’s energy performance benchmark rating before it can be sold, leased or refinanced. A new law (AB1103*) requires this disclosure for many commercial buildings beginning January 1, 2014.
- A comparison of a facility's level of energy efficiency with that of similar facilities nationwide.
- A no-cost way to track and assess the energy performance of your building.
Benefits of Benchmarking
Benchmarking can help you accomplish these goals:
- Meet new state requirements (if applicable)
- Prioritize energy-efficiency investments
- Track energy-efficiency improvements over time
- Receive EPA recognition
- Get certification for your building under LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design)
Benchmarking with Portfolio Manager
Portfolio Manager* is the EPA's ENERGY STAR® measurement and tracking tool which allows building owners and operators to track and assess energy and water consumption of buildings. It generates weather-normalized energy use intensity and greenhouse gas emissions metrics for buildings, as well as a 1 to 100 ENERGY STAR energy performance score for many eligible building types.* Custom reports also allow users to see time trending information and compare buildings within their portfolio.
Information for property owners
- Register for a hands-on benchmarking workshop.
- Create your account in Portfolio Manager* to get started. Once your account is created you must add your property, associated meters and enter energy and water data or share your property with Southern California Gas Company (SoCalGas®) via Web Services* to initiate the automated upload of energy data.
- After your property has been shared with SoCalGas, ask your tenants (the customer of record for each meter shared with SoCalGas in Portfolio Manager) to authorize release of their meter data to you by providing the following information:
- Account number(s)
- Meter number(s)
- Last bill amount associated with the account(s)
After each meter has been authorized for release, SoCalGas will upload meter data to the property owner's Portfolio Manger account, usually within 24 hours after the data authorization is recorded in the customer's account.
Learn more at: Portfolio Manager Web Services Authorization.
Information for tenants
Property owners are subject to several California policies requiring them to benchmark and disclose the energy use of their building. To comply with these policies, property owners need building tenants to release their energy data for use in the benchmarking analysis.
To release data to your property owner, complete the Customer Info Standardized Request (CISR) (PDF). Please provide the following information:
- Account number(s)
- Meter number(s)
- Name of the customer of record
- Property address
- Building owner and tenant signatures
- Check box for EPA Benchmarking is marked
- Check off the appropriate authorization
- Note the preferred format for dat to be sent
When complete, email to: SCGBenchmarking@semprautilities.com or provide to your property owner.
Training and Support
- Video tutorials on benchmarking* using the ENERGY STAR Portfolio Manager are available through ENERGY STAR.
- SoCalGas offers assistance with activating Portfolio Manager Web Services through hands-on benchmarking workshops.
- For questions on SoCalGas' Web Services, contact us at 1-800-GAS-2200 or email us at SCGBenchmarking@semprautilities.com.
- The Online/On-demand Learning Management System* (LMS) is available for all customers who attend the in-person training.
The above trademarks belong to their respective owners. All rights reserved. SoCalGas' energy-efficiency programs are funded by California utility customers and administered by Southern California Gas Company under the auspices of the California Public Utilities Commission. Programs are available on a first-come, first-served basis until program funds are no longer available. SoCalGas is not responsible for any goods or services selected by the customer.