RECLAIM is a market incentive program designed to allow facilities flexibility in achieving emission reduction requirements for Oxides of Nitrogen (NOx), and Oxides of Sulfur (SOx) under the Air Quality Management Plan using methods which include, but are not limited to: add-on controls, equipment modifications, reformulated products, operational changes, shutdowns, and the purchase of excess emission reductions.
Criteria for Inclusion in RECLAIM
Facilities will be included in the RECLAIM program if emissions fee data for 1990 or any subsequent year filed pursuant to Rule 301 - Permit Fees, shows four or more tons per year of NOx or SOx emissionswhere:
- NOx emissions do not include emissions from:
- any NOx source which was exempt from permit pursuant to Rule - 219 Equipment Not Requiring A Written Permit Pursuant to Regulation II;
- any NOx process unit which was rental equipment with a valid District Permit to Operate issued to a party other than the facility; or
- on-site, off-road mobile sources.
- SOx emissions do not include emissions from:
- any SOx source which was exempt from permit pursuant to Rule - 219 Equipment Not Requiring A Written Permit Pursuant to Regulation II; or
- any SOx source that burned natural gas exclusively, unless the emissions are at a facility that elected to enter the program pursuant to subparagraph (i)(2)(A); or
- any SOx process unit which was rental equipment with a valid District Permit to Operate issued to a party other than the facility; or
- on-site, off-road mobile sources.
A facility will not be included in RECLAIM if a permit holder requests exclusion no later than January 1, 1996 and demonstrates prior to October 15, 1993 through the addition of control equipment, the possession of a valid Permit to Construct for such control equipment, or a Permit to Operate condition that the emissions fee data received pursuant to Rule 301, which shows emissions equal to or greater than four tons per year of a RECLAIM pollutant, is not representative of future emissions.
- The following sources, including those that are part of or located on a Department of Defense facility, shall not be included in RECLAIM and are prohibited from electing to enter RECLAIM:
- dry cleaners;
- fire fighting facilities;
- construction and operation of landfill gas control, processing or landfill gas energy recovery facilities;
- facilities which have converted all sources to operate on electric power prior to October 15, 1993;
- police facilities;
- public transit;
- potable water delivery operations;
- facilities located in the Riverside County portions of the Salton Sea and Mojave Desert Air Basins, except for a facility that has elected to enter the RECLAIM program pursuant to subparagraph (i)(2)(M); and
- facilities that have permanently ceased operations of all sources before January 1, 1994.
- The following sources, including those that are part of or located on a Department of Defense facility, shall not be initially included in RECLAIM but may enter the program pursuant to subdivision (f):
- electric utilities (exemption only for the SOx program);
- equipment rental facilities;
- facilities possessing solely "various location" permits;
- publicly owned municipal waste-to-energy facilities;
- portions of facilities conducting research operations;
- schools or universities;
- sewage treatment facilities which are publicly owned and operated consistent with an approved regional growth plan;
- electric power generating systems owned and operated by the City of Burbank, City of Glendale or City of Pasadena or any of their successors;
- ski resorts;
- facilities located on San Clemente Island; and
- any electric generating facility that has submitted complete permit applications for all equipment requiring permits at the facility on or after January 1, 2001 may elect to enter the NOx RECLAIM program if the facility is located in the Riverside County portions of the Salton Sea or Mojave Desert Air Basins.
For changes and updates to RECLAIM go to the attached link. http://www.aqmd.gov/reclaim/index.htm
RECLAIM Cost Effectiveness Spreadsheet (Microsoft Excel format)