May gas price outlook
Effective May 1, 2013, the procurement component of the core sales rate will increase 2.044 ¢/therm to 45.006 ¢/therm. This increase resulted from a 1.000 ¢/therm increase in commodity prices and a 1.044 ¢/therm increase in account adjustments. Compared to a year ago, the procurement rate is about 84.5% higher (24.397 ¢/therm) than what it was effective May 2012.
Combined with the transportation rate, core residential and C&I sales customers will see about a 2.8% rate increase from last month.
Want to lower energy costs? Use natural gas wisely!
The best way to keep winter gas bills lower is to conserve energy. Try these simple low cost/no-cost tips:
- Have a qualified, licensed technician test, clean and adjust your equipment.
- Perform routine maintenance recommended by the manufacturer, according to the owner’s manual. This includes replacing dirty air filters and cleaning intake screens, condenser coils, supply registers and return grills.
- Identify and repair leaky or disconnected ducts.
- Caulk cracks around windows, doors and other openings.
- Set programmable thermostats to turn heating on 30 minutes before people arrive and off 30 to 60 minutes before they leave. Set thermostats no higher than 68 degrees Fahrenheit during occupied periods in the winter.
- Close curtains, shades and blinds at night and during unoccupied periods to help the building retain heat. Keep them open on sunny days.
- Check all lighting timers to be sure they are turning interior and exterior lights on and off at appropriate times.
Managing your bills through energy efficiency
- Energy Savings Finder: Take our 15 minute online survey to learn how to improve energy management, reduce your energy cost and raise awareness of energy usage. You’ll receive a report on your current energy management to help you make smarter business decisions. Start saving now!
- Energy Efficiency Programs: Our programs for businesses offer incentives that could exceed $2.2 million per customer, per year.
- Training and Seminars: Take advantage of training and seminars offered at the Energy Resource Center in Downey, California.
- For more information or questions on our business services and programs call 1-800-427-2000.
If you purchase your gas commodity from a third party...
- Participate in one of our energy efficiency programs or call 1-800-427-2000 for details.
- Contact your supplier and discuss pricing.
- Plan your budget accordingly to allocate sufficient funds for energy use.