20% rate discount for Qualified Nonprofit Proup Living Facilities
Do you operate a nursing home, drug rehabilitation center, halfway house, hospice or homeless center? If so, your facility may be eligible for The Gas Company’s California Alternate Rates for Energy (CARE) program for qualified nonprofit group living facilities. Qualified facilities will receive a 20% discounted rate on their gas bill.
Eligible facilities may include:
- Homeless or women’s shelter
- Transitional housing- drug rehabilitation facilities, half-way houses
- Short- or long-term care facility- hospice, nursing homes, seniors’ or children’s homes
- Group home- for physically or mentally disabled persons.
To receive CARE rate assistance, the facility must:
- Have tax-exempt status under Internal Revenue Code Section 501(c)(3).
- Be licensed by the applicable state agency.
- With the exception of homeless shelters, all facilities must provide services such as meals, job development training, or rehabilitation in addition to lodging.
- With the exception of homeless shelters, 100% of the residents at the facility must individually meet the current CARE income guideline.
- Homeless shelters must provide at least six beds per day or night for minimum of 180 days each year for persons who have no alternative residence.
- Use at least 70 percent of the facility’s natural gas consumption for residential purposes.
- Not owned by government, unless they are a qualified nonprofit homeless shelter.
- At the time of annual renewal of eligibility, facility is required to certify how monies saved through the CARE discount have benefited the residents of the facility.
Income qualification criteria
As of June 2011, the individual resident’s total annual income cannot exceed $31,800.
What counts as income?
Total annual income is all revenues from whatever sources derived, whether taxable or non-taxable, including, but not limited to:
- Wages or salaries
- Interest or dividends
- Spousal and child support payments
- Public assistance payments
- Social Security
- Rental income
- Income from self-employment
- All employment-related non-cash income