An ongoing commitment to clean air
The Hearst Castle State Historical Monument, commonly known as Hearst Castle,® was built for newspaper magnate William Randolph Hearst between 1919 and 1947. This massive property housed much of the art and artifacts that Hearst collected over the years. Seven years after his death, Hearst Castle opened its doors to the public in 1958. Shuttle bus service began making the five mile trip from the Visitor Center to the Castle shortly thereafter. Every year, approximately 800,000 people from around the world come to visit Hearst Castle, each one making the 10 mile round-trip ride up the hill and back down on a natural gas-powered shuttle bus.
The Hearst Castle project had a greater impact on emissions than all of the other clean air transportation projects completed in San Luis Obispo County in the previous five years combined.