Who can shut off gas service?
As part of our commitment to provide safe and reliable service, Southern California Gas Company (SoCalGas) will close service prior to the fumigation of a home or business, as well as restore gas service afterward.
Under the regulations of the California Public Utilities Commission (CPUC), only SoCalGas or its certified contractors are authorized to operate the gas service shut-off valve.
Fumigation contractors are not authorized to perform these services.
SoCalGas will provide all service closure and restoration services at no cost to you. As part of the restoration service, we will inspect and adjust all appliances for safety and efficiency.
Important guidelines to follow
Please follow these guidelines when having your home or business fumigated:
- To close service for fumigation, the request must be entered two (2) or more workdays prior to the requested date to close gas service for fumigation. Large meters and multiple meters in one location may require additional time.
- Close requests received on a Thursday or Friday may be scheduled for the following Monday; or Tuesday if Monday is a holiday.
- Close requests received on a Saturday or Sunday may be scheduled for the following Tuesday; except Holiday weekends which will be scheduled for the following Wednesday.
- You must schedule service restoration with SoCalGas -- advance notice of at least one business day is required. We will attempt to set up an appointment with a four-hour time frame (to be determined by the current schedule availability).
- Service restoration is scheduled no sooner than two days after the structure is fumigated. Service restoration may be scheduled the same day the tent is removed if you provide SoCalGas with the “Certification for Re-entry” for the fumigation contractor, certifying that it is safe to re-enter the structure.
- SoCalGas employees are not permitted to enter structures that are partially or fully tented for fumigation.
- Please leave clear access to the gas meter and the front door.
How to schedule your order
Visit our fumigation order webpage to find out how to schedule your order.