SoCalGas constructs, operates, and maintains our pipeline system to meet or exceed applicable local, state and federal regulations and requirements.
Southern California Gas Company (SoCalGas®) is the nation’s largest distributor of natural gas, delivering safe and reliable service to nearly 21 million customers through almost 6 million meters. To reach those customers, natural gas is transported over 4,000 miles of gas transmission pipelines, 48,000 miles of distribution pipelines and 49,000 miles of service lines.
At SoCalGas, the safety of our customers, our employees and the communities we serve has been and will continue to be our highest priority. We also believe in treating the Earth’s resources with respect, and strive to serve our customers’ energy needs in a manner that protects and conserves the environment of the diverse communities in which we operate and provide service.
Reflecting these commitments to safety and environmental stewardship, we construct, operate, and maintain our pipeline system to meet or exceed applicable local, state and federal regulations and requirements. Environmental reviews are conducted for pipeline projects to assess potential impacts.
SoCalGas pipeline operations and/or maintenance activities occasionally take us into environmentally-sensitive areas within our service territory.
We comply with environmental regulations and requirements, secure necessary permits, and implement established operational protocols designed to help protect air quality, waterways, natural resources, cultural resources, critical habitat, and endangered plant and animal species.
We also make every effort to leave a project site in as-good or better condition than when we arrived.
At SoCalGas, we make it a priority to work together with customers and with business and civic leaders to encourage environmental stewardship. We aspire to be innovators — to meet the demands of California’s growing energy needs and its goals for renewable energy while securing our environment for the future.
SoCalGas Environmental Policy
SoCalGas routinely performs various pipeline safety and maintenance tasks, including patrolling, inspecting, testing, repairing and replacing pipelines. Whenever we undertake any of these activities we do so in accordance with our Environmental Policy:
- Meet all applicable environmental laws, regulations and permit requirements
- Join customers, civic leaders and other community leaders in providing sound and responsible stewardship of our environment
- Advocate public policies that protect the environment, using sound science, cost-effective technology, rational thinking and common sense as the basis for these policies
- Encourage the development and use of efficient, clean and cost-effective technologies, while helping our customers meet their energy needs in an environmentally-responsible way
- Lessen our impact on the environment through activities such as recycling and waste-minimization
- Incorporate appropriate environmental management and compliance in strategic planning and operational decisions
- Encourage innovation and enhanced cost-effectiveness in methods of compliance and use practical means to gauge our performance
- Implement appropriate environmental education and training programs for employees and stakeholders
- Review results, existing operations and management practices to allow for continuous improvement