Learn how to use natural gas safely
When cooler weather is right around the corner, that is the perfect time to check your natural gas appliances. Periodic inspections and proper care and maintenance of your appliances will help keep them operating safely and efficiently. Here are some general safety tips to remember when you get ready for the winter season:
Have your gas appliances inspected annually by a licensed, qualified professional or Southern California Gas Company (SoCalGas). Schedule your appointment today.
Never store rags, mops, paper or other combustibles near any gas appliance.
Never store anything near a gas appliance that might interfere with normal appliance airflow.
Give your furnace an annual safety check up. Keep it clear of dust, lint and any obstructions that can block airflow and have it inspected for safety and efficiency by a licensed, qualified professional or SoCalGas.
- Never use your oven, range or outdoor barbecue to heat your home because these appliances are not designed for this purpose.
- Help keep our employees and your pet safe by confining your pet in a secure location away from the meter, gas appliance or other work area before we arrive at your home.
- Call 811 two business days before you dig to have utility-owned pipelines serving your property marked, free of charge.
- Know how to recognize and respond to a natural gas leak.
- Learn where gas lines are located.
- Learn how to be prepared for an emergency.