Are you an industrial, commercial or agricultural customer who wants to save energy in ways not covered by our rebates? You may qualify for incentives through any combination of the following types of energy-efficiency projects:
- Equipment replacements
- Improvements of existing processes
- New energy-efficient equipment, processes or construction.
The Incentives for qualifying projects can be as high as $1 million per project and $2 million per premise, per year, and are determined based on the project type, cost, and savings.
For qualifying projects saving at least 1 million therms a year, the customer and SoCalGas® may negotiate on an incentive. A key qualification for financial incentives is that we must be involved from the beginning of the process, prior to equipment selection or final project design.
How to Apply
- Contact your account representative to submit an application. If you don't know who your account representative is, see contact information.
- Subject the project to an energy analysis.
- Sign a conditional incentive reservation form.
- Proceed with purchase orders and/or equipment purchases and install equipment.
- Complete and submit project closure paperwork.
- Receive payment or recognition award.
- Retrofit projects saving less than an estimated 200,000 therms per year require an energy analysis, which may include load balance calculations, account history and engineering review.
- Retrofit projects saving greater than an estimated 200,000 therms per year will require the customer to provide an energy analysis report approved by a registered professional engineer.
- For other retrofit projects and new construction projects, we will provide customers with an energy savings report at no cost.
- Leased equipment projects will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis, subject primarily to the terms of the lease.
- Customers may receive incentives for qualifying installations of industrial steam traps. Two key qualifications are that SoCalGas or a licensed contractor must perform a steam trap survey, and we must review that survey prior to the purchase of any steam traps. Please contact your account representative for more information.
Energy Management Systems - An energy management system can monitor weather-related changes and automatically adjust greenhouse settings accordingly. For example, it could change indoor temperatures and open and close vents and heat curtains.
For qualifying installations, we provide financial incentives of up to 50 percent of the cost of energy you save in one year.
SoCalGas gave the specialty chemical company Ashland Inc. a $23,500 incentive for a heat-recovery project. “Since the project saved both gas and water, the incentive cut our payback period down to 11 months,” said Aaron Jenkins, plant engineer.
SoCalGas provided an incentive of $450,000 to help National Beef use biogas, which is a renewable source of natural gas. National Beef uses micro-organisms that produce biogas while consuming waste products. “The project gives us about a million therms of energy every year,” said Brian Webb, vice president.
Energy Management System
This program is funded by California utility customers and administered by SoCalGas under the auspices of the California Public Utilities Commission. This program may be modified or terminated without prior notice and is provided to qualified customers on a first-come, first-served basis until program funds are no longer available. Eligibility requirements apply. Minimum and maximum loan amounts per meter are $5,000 and $100,000 respectively for eligible business customers that participate in our rebate/incentive programs. Customer results cited may not be typical. SoCalGas is not responsible for any goods or services selected by the customer. To qualify, equipment must meet technical requirements and be installed according to local building codes and ordinances and/or manufacturer's requirements.