Retrocommissioning (RCx) for Commercial Buildings
Retrocommissioning (RCx) is a no-cost/low-cost program available to non-residential customers in the shared service areas of SoCalGas® and the Los Angeles Department of Water and Power (LADWP).
RCx Program Benefits
- Cash incentives paying from $0.10 to $0.15 per kilowatt hour (kWh) and $1 per therm saved annually, or 50 percent of the project cost (excluding taxes and internal labor) whichever is less.
- Reduced electricity and natural gas bills by up to 15 percent
All LADWP non-residential electric customers in good standing are eligible to participate in this program, as long as the building qualifies for one or more of the program’s 13 measures.
In addition, customers who receive service from both SoCalGas and LADWP are eligible to receive financial incentives on both natural gas and electric measures. The suggested (but not required) minimum building size is 50,000 square feet, and many measures benefit from a centralized building automation system.
For terms and conditions of this program, visit: LADWP's page on RCx*.
Save On Up to 13 RCx Measures
Eligible customers can receive electric and/or natural gas energy savings and incentives for up to 13 measures.
HVAC Airside Measures
- Reduce supply fan operating schedule
- Adjust airside economizers
- Adjust zone temperature deadband
- Add supply air temperature setpoint reset strategy
- Reduce supply duct static pressure setpoint
- Add supply duct static pressure setpoint reset strategy
Add/restore supply fan variable frequency drives (VFDs)
(Requires malfunctioning inlet guide vanes or malfunctioning VFDs)
HVAC Waterside Measures
- Add/optimize boiler lockout
- Add chilled water supply temperature setpoint reset strategy
- Add condenser water supply temperature setpoint reset strategy
- Restore chilled water pump VFD
- Reduce lighting operating schedule
- Restore lighting occupancy sensors
How to Apply
- Fill out the RCx application*
- Print it, sign it and mail it to the address on the application.
- Supply measure-specific data by filling out hard copy forms* and submitting those, or by filling in the Building Optimization Analysis (BOA) tool* and emailing the spread sheets to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- After the measure-specific data is submitted, a program verification engineer will conduct a baseline inspection. Confirmation of the measure-specific data results in an authorization to proceed and a reservation of funds.
- After the measures are installed or implemented, the engineering staff will review the installation (or software changes). Repair work can be done in-house or by a service contractor.
- Upon successful completion of the installation inspection, LADWP will process the incentive payment. Incentive checks are processed within four to six weeks of final approval.
This program is funded by California utility customers and administered by Southern California Gas Company under the auspices of the California Public Utilities Commission. This program may be modified or terminated without prior notice and is provided to qualified customers on a first-come, first-served basis until program funds are no longer available. Southern California Gas Company is not responsible for any goods or services selected by the customer.