What to Expect
- Several weeks prior to installation, you'll receive a letter informing you that we will be in your area to upgrade the natural gas meter with an Advanced Meter communications device.
- The installation takes about 15 minutes and usually doesn't disrupt gas service. In most cases you don't even need to be present. We'll leave a door hanger notifying you once we've installed the device on the meter. Until the network is fully operational in your area, we'll still need safe access to manually read the meter.
- After installation, you may still see our employees in the area conducting quality assurance tests on our system. Once validated, the Advanced Meter will read and transmit your gas usage information to us.
- We will notify you when your hourly and daily gas usage information is available to view through My Account.
How You Can Help
Be sure to let family members or tenants know about the upcoming installation, and provide safe access to the natural gas meter by:
- Clearing any obstructions, trimming plants or bushes
- Unlocking any cabinets or gates that would block access
- Confining your dog away from the gas meter
Didn't Receive a Letter?
Some customers may not receive a notification letter – those who need a new meter for maintenance reasons (outdated meter, malfunction, etc.). In such cases, the new meter will already include an Advanced Meter communications device.
Turning Off Gas Service
If the gas meter at your facility is identified as one that requires us to temporarily turn off your gas service, we'll make our best attempt to coordinate with you so we can arrange a convenient time to complete the work, relight your gas pilot lights and check your gas appliances. We'll leave a door hanger with contact information and instructions as to how to schedule a follow-up appointment.
Find out when we'll be in your area to install Advanced Meters: