CARE Verification FAQs

Find the most frequently asked questions about our CARE program below

What is the CARE verification and why was I selected to prove I am eligible?

The California Public Utilities Commission (CPUC) instructed the Investor Owned Utilities (IOUs) to maintain a verification process to ensure that only qualified customers are receiving the benefit of the CARE discount. Customers who are recently enrolled or recertified for CARE are evaluated based on certain criteria which determines whether they will be asked to verify their eligibility. Customers who are selected for verification have 90 days to prove their eligibility for CARE.

I recently completed an application and became enrolled in CARE, or recently renewed my eligibility. Must I also complete the verification application?

Yes, you must complete the verification application. In order to maintain the discount, you are responsible for proving that you are eligible for CARE.

What if I no longer qualify for the CARE discount?

If you no longer qualify for CARE, you may fill in the circle on the verification application that corresponds to the statement: “I no longer qualify or wish to participate in CARE. Please remove my account from the CARE program.” Then, return the application in the postage paid envelope provided. Once received, we will remove you from the CARE program. Or, if you would prefer to speak to a CARE representative, please call the phone number listed above.

What documents do I send to prove my eligibility?

See the Documentation Guide below for suggestions that pertain to you and your household. Or, you may call the CARE department and a CARE representative will be able to make suggestions after asking you a few questions.

Is it safe to submit my bank statement or social security information?

Your personal documentation is safely received in the CARE department at SoCalGas and securely shredded after 30 days. If you wish, feel free to blacken or white-out bank account or social security numbers.

I am paid in cash and do not have a pay stub. How can I prove my income?

You may write and submit a letter stating that you are paid in cash. Include your name, address, your weekly or monthly gross income, and SoCalGas account number. Sign and date the letter and mail the verification application and letter in the postage paid envelope provided.

What if I do not have current information but must wait for a current pay stub or other documentation? 

Customers have 90 days to submit their information. If you feel it will take longer than 90 days, please speak to a CARE representative by calling the phone number listed above.

I do not have access to a copy machine. If I send in my proof of eligibility documentation, can I receive it back?

Yes, we will be glad to mail your documents back to you. Simply include a note stating that you request to have your proof of eligibility documents mailed back to you.

I sent in my verification application and my pay stubs. I received a letter that requests additional income information for the other adults in the household. What should I do? 

Income information for each adult must be submitted. If the other adults in the household do not have a means of financial support, or are not enrolled in an assistance program, simply state that on a sheet of paper and mail it back with the letter you received, in the postage paid envelope provided.  Or, you may discuss this with a CARE representative by calling the phone number listed above.

What happens if I do not verify my CARE eligibility?

Customers who do not complete the verification process are removed from the CARE discount and rebilled for up to three months at the regular residential rate. This means a loss of three months of CARE credit received.

I missed the deadline to verify my eligibility and was rebilled, what can I do now?

Complete the verification application and return it along with proof of income or proof of participation in a qualifying assistance program. The CARE discount will not be retroactive but will take effect once your information is received and approved. If you no longer have the verification application, visit My Account to complete it online or request another by calling 1-800-207-8567.

Why was I not informed that my CARE discount was going to be terminated?

We remind customers through a bill message via mail or a My Account message which states: “The Gas Company has not received your completed verification application and proof of income. Please mail these documents immediately to continue receiving the CARE discounted rate and to avoid corrective billings.”

Documentation Guide

Send only the documents that pertain to you and your household.

Documentation Guide
If you receive: Acceptable Documents
Wages, Salary, Paychecks, Tips, Commissions
  • Copies of the two most recent consecutive pay stubs showing gross income, or W-2, or IRS 1040 form
  • Federal Tax Form: Form 1040 and accompanying worksheets Schedule(s) 1, 2, 3, 4 or 5, or Form 2555, or Form W-2, or Form 1065 or Form 1099M for all wage earners
Social Security, SSI, SSDI, Workers Compensation
  • Statements of Benefits, Copy of the Check, Bank Statements showing the deposits, IRS Form 1040, or IRS Form 1099
Unemployment Benefits
  • Copy of current check or printout from Employment Development Department
Pensions and Annuities
  • Copies of current check, annual statement from pension plan or bank statement showing direct deposit
Disability Compensation
  • Copy of current check, printout from agency or insurance company verifying the amount
Profit from Self-Employment
  • IRS Form 1040, plus Schedule C or C-EZ
Rental Income, Royalty Income
  • IRS Form 1040, plus Schedule E for rental income or Form 1065
Interest/Dividends from Savings Accounts, Retirement Accounts, Stocks, Bonds
  • Monthly or quarterly statement of interest income from bank or agency, IRS Form 1040, or IRS Form 1099(s)
Insurance, Legal settlements
  • Settlement documents
Child and/or Spousal Support
  • Court Documents, or Copy of current check, or letter from spouse showing amount and frequency
Veteran’s Benefits
  • A letter indicating receipt of Veteran’s Pension or copy of V.A. check
School Grants, Scholarships, or Other Aid
  • Award Letters, 2 most recent consecutive Pay Stubs, or copy of the check or financial statement of annual benefit from college, university, or bank
Support from an Individual
  • Copy of check and statement signed by person providing support showing amount and frequency
Bank Statement
  • Current bank statements showing deposits, etc.
Other sources of income
  • Documentation of other monies received by your household and used to pay your monthly bills
None of the Sources Above
  • A statement explaining the sources of income used to support your household
Document Participation Guide
If you participate in: Acceptable Documents
  • Current letter of eligibility or Benefits ID card with a valid issue date within the last 12 months
Medi-Cal for Families
  • Current statement showing monthly premium amount (no older than 12 months)
Women, Infants, & Children (WIC)
  • WIC Authorization Folder (WAF) with ID Number (must have a future dated appointment including month/date/year or current WIC voucher)
CalWORKs (TANF), Tribal TANF
  • Current Notice of Action, computer printout of benefit letter showing current participation dated within the last 12 months
Head Start Income Eligible – Tribal Only
  • Current Award Letter (Notice of Action), an approved Head Start application or statement of enrollment in Head Start
CalFresh (Food Stamps)
  • Current Award Letter (aka: Notice of Action), or letter of eligibility dated within the last 12 months
Bureau of Indian Affairs - General Assistance
  • Current Notice of Action from County Social Services, copy of current check, and/or ID card dated within the last 12 months
National School Lunch Program (NSLP)
  • Current Award or Acceptance letter (must explicitly state NSLP)
Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP)
  • Proof of direct payment to the utility or copy of Energy Intake Form (CSD 43)
Supplemental Security Income
  • Notice of Planned Action dated within the last 12 months or recent bank statement of direct deposit

The CARE program is funded by California utility customers and administered by SoCalGas under the auspices of the California Public Utilities Commission. Program funds will be allocated on a first-come, first-served basis until such funds are no longer available. This program may be modified or terminated without prior notice. Eligibility requirements apply; see the program conditions for details.