Energy Savings Assistance Program
Paying your energy bill each month often can be a challenge.
One way to help conserve energy and make your home more energy efficient is with the Energy Savings Assistance Program, which offers no-cost energy-saving home improvement services to income-qualified renters and homeowners.
Improvements offered to eligible tenants* and homeowners** may include:
|Attic insulation||Water heater blankets|
|Door weather stripping||Faucet aerators|
|Caulking||Minor repairs to exterior doors and/or windows|
|Low-flow showerheads||Evaporative cooler vent covers|
|Furnace repair or replacement (owner-occupied only)||Water heater repair or replacement (owner-occupied only)|
There are Two Ways to Qualify
1. If you or another person in your household receives benefits from any of these programs:
- Medi-Cal / Medicaid
- Medi-Cal for Families A & B
- Women, Infants and Children (WIC)
- CalWORKs (TANF)1 or Tribal TANF
- Head Start Income Eligible - Tribal Only
- Bureau of Indian Affairs General Assistance
- CalFresh (Food Stamps)
- National School Lunch Program (NSLP)
- Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP)
- Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
1 Includes Welfare-to-Work
2. Total income for all persons in your household meets the following income guidelines:
|Number of people in household||Total yearly household income not more than|
These income guidelines are effective June 1, 2017 thru May 31, 2018. For each additional household member, add $8,360.
Weatherized before? Good news!
SoCalGas is pleased to inform you that you may now qualify for even more home improvements at no cost to you. The program is offering past participants in the Ventura, Los Angeles, and Orange County areas an opportunity to take advantage of new home improvements that have been added to the program since their homes were serviced from 2002-2012.
If you are an eligible renter or homeowner enrolled in a public assistance program or if you meet the income requirements (see Two Ways to Qualify section) and location criteria above, you may now qualify for additional home improvements.
What You Can Expect After Calling:
- To start, you'll be referred to an Energy Savings Assistance Program contractor in your area.
- The Energy Saving Assistance Program contractor will schedule an appointment with you for a home visit.
- During the visit, the contractor will help you determine if you are eligible+ for the program, and if so, help complete all necessary paperwork. You may also receive tips on how you can save energy.
- If your home meets eligibility requirements, the Energy Savings Assistance Program contractor will schedule a date to perform the home improvement.
- After the installations, you may be contacted by an inspection contractor to schedule a follow-up visit to ensure all improvements were installed properly.
+You will need to provide the Energy Savings Assistance Program contractor with proof of participation in eligible public assistance program(s) or total yearly income.
What if I Don't Qualify?
If you don't meet the minimum requirements to participate in the Energy Savings Assistance Program, you still may be able to take advantage of one of our other energy efficiency programs.
If you are recently unemployed, the change in your household income may qualify for the Energy Savings Assistance Program.
Recognizing Your "Authorized Contractor"
Authorized contractors certified to represent the Energy Savings Assistance Program must present a valid photo ID badge.
On the front of the badge:
- Energy Savings Assistance Program logo
- Picture and name of the employee
- Expiration date (must be current)
- Explicitly says “Outreach Specialist”
- Name of the approved contractor
- Badge number
- Home Improvement Sales Registration (HISR) number
Back of the badge:
- Energy Savings Assistance Program logo
- SoCalGas® toll-free number
If you have concerns about the field contractor’s identity or general questions about the visit, call 1-800-331-7593 between 7 a.m. – 3:30 p.m. to speak with a SoCalGas Energy Savings Assistance Program representative. The representative will be able to verify the field contractor’s identity and their authorization to represent the Energy Savings Assistance Program.
This program is funded by California utility customers and administered by SoCalGas under the auspices of the California Public Utilities Commission. Energy improvements completed under this program are made by third-party providers contracted by SoCalGas. Program funds, including any funds utilized for rebates or incentives, will be allocated on a first-come, first-served basis until such funds are no longer available. This program may be modified or terminated without prior notice. The selection, purchase, and ownership of goods and/or services are the sole responsibility of customer. SoCalGas makes no warranty, whether express or implied, including the warranty of merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose, of goods or services selected by customer. Customers who choose to participate in this program are not obligated to purchase any additional goods or services offered by contractor or any other third party. SoCalGas does not endorse, qualify, or guarantee the work of any contractor or other third party. Eligibility requirements apply; see the program conditions for details.