What is Personal Information?
The “CCPA” describes “Personal Information” as information that identifies, relates to, describes, is reasonably capable of being associated with, or could reasonably be linked, directly or indirectly, with a particular California resident or household. However, the CCPA does not apply to certain information, such as information subject to the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act or the Health Information Portability Accountability Act.
Notice at Collection (Collection, Use, and Disclosure of Personal Information)
We collect the following categories of Personal Information about California residents and disclose to third parties or service providers for the business purposes listed.
In the past 12 months, we may have, depending on your interactions with us, collected the following categories of Personal Information:
- Identifiers, such as name, contact information and government ID,
- Personal information, as defined in the California safeguards law, such as financial information,
- Protected classifications under California or federal law, such as disability status or other attributes,
- Consumer records, such as transaction, account, energy use and income information,
- Internet or network activity, such as browsing history and interactions with our website,
- Geolocation data, such as equipment location,
- Audio, electronic, visual, or similar information, such as call and video recordings,
- Professional or employment-related information, such as work history and prior employer,
- Education information, such as school and date of graduation, student college scholarship applications, and
- Inferences drawn from above to create a profile about you, your preferences and characteristics.
We may use Personal Information for the following business purposes:
- to operate, manage, and maintain our business,
- to provide and improve our products and services,
- to communicate with you and manage your account including billing and credit services,
- to determine your eligibility for and participation in certain programs,
- for our employment and vendor management purposes,
- to personalize, advertise, develop, improve, and market our products and services,
- for quality, safety, research and data analysis,
- to detect and prevent fraud and security incidents,
- to maintain our facilities, systems and infrastructure,
- to perform accounting, auditing, and other internal functions,
- to maintain business records,
- to conduct investigations and comply with legal obligations,
- to exercise and defend legal claims and to protect you, us and others,
- for uses we notify you of or obtain your consent, and
- for use in a lawful manner compatible with the context in which it was provided.
California Residents’ Rights
California law grants California residents’ certain rights and imposes restrictions on particular business practices as set forth below.
Notice at Collection: We are required to notify California residents, at or before the point of collection of their Personal Information, the categories of Personal Information collected and the purposes for which such information is used.
Verifiable Requests for Deletion, Access/Copy and Right to Know. Subject to certain exceptions, California residents have the right to make the following requests, at no charge:
Right of Deletion: The right to request deletion of Personal Information that we have collected about them, subject to certain exemptions, and to have such personal information deleted, except where necessary that we maintain such Personal Information for reasons such as the following:
- Complete the transaction for which the Personal Information was collected, fulfill the terms of a written warranty or product recall conducted in accordance with federal law, provide a good or service requested by the consumer, or reasonably anticipated within the context of a business’s ongoing business relationship with the consumer, or otherwise perform a contract between the business and the consumer.
- Detect security incidents, protect against malicious, deceptive, fraudulent, or illegal activity; or prosecute those responsible for that activity.
- Debug to identify and repair errors that impair existing intended functionality.
- Exercise free speech, ensure the right of another consumer to exercise that consumer’s right of free speech, or exercise another right provided for by law.
- Comply with communications laws which preclude deletion.
- Engage in public or peer-reviewed scientific, historical, or statistical research in the public interest that adheres to all other applicable ethics and privacy laws, when the businesses’ deletion of the information is likely to render impossible or seriously impair the achievement of such research, if the consumer has provided informed consent.
- Enable solely internal uses that are reasonably aligned with the expectations of the consumer based on the consumer’s relationship with the business.
- Comply with a legal obligation.
- Otherwise use the consumer’s Personal Information, internally, in a lawful manner that is compatible with the context in which the consumer provided the information.
Please note that the great majority of Personal Information we collect falls into the foregoing exemptions.
Right to Access/Copy: (Up to twice every 12 months) The right to request a copy of the specific pieces of Personal Information that we have collected about them in the prior 12 months and to have this delivered, free of charge, either (a) electronically in a portable and, to the extent technically feasible, readily useable format that allows the individual to transmit this information to another entity without hindrance or (b) by mail. For security reasons and to comply with the CCPA, certain highly sensitive types of Personal Information, such as social security numbers, drivers’ license numbers, and bank account numbers, will not be provided, but we will inform you if we may have collected them during such 12-month period.
Right to Opt-Out/Do Not Sell: The right to opt-out of the sale (if any) of their Personal Information.
Right to Know: (Up to twice every 12 months) The right to request that we provide them certain information about how we have handled their Personal Information in the prior 12 months, including the:
- categories of Personal Information collected;
- categories of sources of Personal Information;
- business and/or commercial purposes for collecting or selling their Personal Information;
- categories of third parties with whom we have shared their Personal Information;
- categories of Personal Information that we have disclosed or shared with a third party for a business purpose;
- the right to request the specific pieces of Personal Information collected (see above); and
- categories of third parties to whom the residents’ Personal Information has been sold and the specific categories of Personal Information sold to each category of third party.
Submitting Requests. Requests to exercise the right to deletion, right to a copy, and / or the right to know may be submitted at https://socalgas.com/privacy or by contacting us at 1-800-427-2200 (toll free). We will respond to verifiable requests received from California consumers or their authorized agents as required by law by matching the information provided against the information we have about you or requesting that you log into your account. If we are unable to adequately verify a request, we will notify the requestor. Authorized agents will be required to provide proof of their authorization, and we may also require that the relevant consumer directly verify their identity and the authority of the authorized agent.
Annual CCPA 2021 Metrics
|Type of Requests
||Non Customer Requests
||Median Number of Days to Process
|Right to Know Report Requests
|Deletion of Data Requests
Please note, in accordance with required provisions of the CCPA, Opt-out requests are not offered since The Southern California Gas Company does not sell consumer’s information.
Financial Incentives, Sale and Non-Discrimination. The CCPA prohibits discrimination against California residents for exercising their rights under the CCPA and imposes requirements on any financial incentives offered to California residents related to their Personal Information.
Discrimination: Businesses may not discriminate against residents who exercise their rights under CCPA. Discrimination may exist where a business denies or provides a different level or quality of goods or services, or charges (or suggests that it will charge) different prices or rates or impose penalties on residents who exercise their CCPA rights, unless doing so is reasonably related to the value provided to the business by the residents’ data .
Disclosure of Financial Incentives and Sale: If businesses offer any financial incentives for the collection, sale or deletion of their Personal Information, residents have the right to be notified of any financial incentives offers and their material terms, the right not be included in such offers without prior informed opt-in consent, and the right to be able to opt-out of such offers at any time. Businesses may not offer unjust, unreasonable, coercive, or usurious financial incentives. We do not offer any such incentives or sell your personal information at this time, each as described in the CCPA.