Benchmarking is a no-cost way to compare your facility's level of energy efficiency with that of similar facilities nationwide. Benchmarking can help you increase energy efficiency and reduce operating costs, which can help raise property values.
Benefits of Benchmarking
Benchmarking can help your company:
- Meet new state laws* that require many commercial buildings to disclose their energy performance benchmark rating before it can be sold, leased or refinanced.
- Prioritize energy-efficiency investments
- Track energy-efficiency improvements over time
- Receive EPA recognition
- Get certification for your building under LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design)
Benchmarking with Portfolio Manager®
Portfolio Manager* is the EPA's ENERGY STAR® measurement and tracking tool that allows you to:
- Track and assess the energy and water consumption of your buildings.
- Generate weather-normalized energy use intensity and greenhouse gas emissions metrics.
- Generate a one to 100 ENERGY STAR energy performance scores for many eligible building types.*
- Generate custom reports that allow you to see time trending information and compare buildings within your portfolio.
Information for property owners
- Register for a hands-on benchmarking workshop.
- Create your account in Portfolio Manager* to get started.
- Once your account is created, you'll need to add your property, associated meters and manually enter energy and water data or CONNECT and SHARE your property with SoCalGas® via Web Services* to initiate the automated upload of energy data. Read our How-to-Guide for step-by-step instructions on how to create your account and initiate Web Services.
- After your property has been connected with SoCalGas, ask your tenants (the customer of record for each meter shared with SoCalGas in Portfolio Manager) to authorize release of their meter data to you by providing the following information:
- Account number(s)
- Meter number(s)
- Last bill amount associated with the account(s)
After each meter has been authorized for release, SoCalGas will upload meter data to the property owner's Portfolio Manger account, usually within 24 hours after the data authorization is recorded in the customer's account.
Learn more at: Portfolio Manager Web Services Authorization.
Information for Tenants
Property owners are subject to several California policies requiring them to benchmark and disclose the energy use of their building. To comply with these policies, property owners need building tenants to release their energy data for use in the benchmarking analysis.
To release data to your property owner, complete the Customer Info Standardized Request (CISR) (PDF). Please provide the following information:
- Account number(s)
- Meter number(s)
- Name of the customer of record
- Property address
- Building owner and tenant signatures
- Check box for EPA Benchmarking is marked
- Check off the appropriate authorization
When complete, email to: SCGBenchmarking@semprautilities.com or provide to your property owner.
Training and Support
- Video tutorials on benchmarking* using the ENERGY STAR Portfolio Manager.
- We offer hands-on benchmarking workshops for assistance with activating Portfolio Manager Web Services throughout the year.
- For questions on SoCalGas' Web Services, contact us at 1-800-427-2200 or email us at SCGBenchmarking@semprautilities.com.
- The Online/On-demand Learning Management System* (LMS) is available for all customers who attend the in-person training.
- Free access to The Ultimate (Online) Guide to Benchmarking with ENERGY STAR Portfolio Manager is available to those who are eligible.1 This online benchmarking video tutorial series* is designed to help users of all levels master benchmarking.
1SoCalGas has engaged the Energy Efficiency Funding Group (EEFG) to provide online/on-demand training on ENERGY STAR Portfolio Manager and related topics, as well as one-on-one technical support, to the following eligible stakeholders:
- SoCalGas customers
- Professionals working in support of SoCalGas or its customers (e.g., a consultant helping our customer with their utility bills, benchmarking, or other efficiency initiatives).
ENERGY STAR and ENERGY STAR Portfolio Manager are registered trademarks of the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency. All rights reserved. SoCalGas' energy-efficiency programs are funded by California utility customers and administered by SoCalGas under the auspices of the California Public Utilities Commission.