Promoting STEM and Energy Education
A promising future for our communities is directly tied to a highly skilled and educated workforce. It is imperative that we give students a strong foundation to be equipped for the jobs of tomorrow.
We focus our efforts on motivating students to be prepared for higher education, promoting technology-based learning and encouraging success in science, technology, engineering and math (STEM). Our global economy requires students to not only have a quality education, but also a strong understanding in STEM.
Some of the organizations/projects we supported in 2017:
- Cal State University Northridge – CSUN’s Feria de Educación and Matador Day of Service: Feria de Educación is a free daylong celebration focused on proving educational resources and information on building blocks for achieving academic and professional success in partnership with Univision and the California State University Chancellor’s Office.
- Cal State Los Angeles – College of Engineering, Computer Science and Technology: SoCalGas is a long-time supporter of Cal State Los Angeles, providing annual funding to the College of Engineering, Computer Science and Technology. Funding is used for several programs designed to increase the number of underrepresented students in STEM Fields. These programs include the MESA (Mathematics Engineering Science Achievement) programs and the Launchpad summer engineering program. The MESA program works to increase diversity within STEM fields with a variety of programs that increase both the interest and achievement of historically underrepresented groups in math and science. The Launchpad is a two week summer program for high school women designed to interest students in engineering and computer science through hands-on activities.
- Cal Poly Pomona – School of Engineering:
Funding to support the following diversity and student programs:
- Women in Engineering: A comprehensive program to attract and retain female students.
- Project Lead the Way: A Stem curriculum and professional development program for middle and high school educators
- MEP - Center for Gender, Diversity & Student Excellence: A program supporting student success for women and traditionally underrepresented students.
- Materials Lab Revitalization: For students to study and research materials related to engineering.
- Team Science: Every year, employees from the SoCalGas EAC partners with Team Science and other Southern California engineers, scientist and educators to bring a unique summer camp to area children. Team Science’s Summer Science Camp is a six-day learning experience, where students learn to apply scientific, technical, engineering and mathematical principals to real world situations. SoCalGas employees help design and teach several workshops. Having high hands-on content allows students to learn these important principles in engaging and interesting ways.
- TELACU Education Foundation: Funds from SoCalGas will be utilized to ensure that students’ progress on the Foundation's Continuum of Education, attain at minimum a Bachelor's degree and become our nation's next generation of leaders. The Continuum of Education--a dynamic model created by the Foundation and comprised primarily of the College Readiness (CRP) and College Success Programs (CSP)--propels students from high school through graduate studies. Each year the CRP serves 1600 high school students and veterans, and the CSP serves nearly 500 college students.