At SoCalGas®, sustainability and being a responsible environmental steward is a fundamental part of doing business. To that end, we're focused on activities that deliver on the company’s low-carbon business strategy.
We have a long-standing commitment to leading by example, implementing sustainable practices in our operations and influencing good practices for our customers and community.
We support a wide array of environmental causes and organizations. These include Breathe LA, which promotes clean air and healthy lungs through research, education, advocacy and technology; and Los Angeles Conservation Corps, which provides at-risk youth and young adults with job skills training, education and work experience with an emphasis on conservation.
In 2014, some of our activities included:
- We hosted an environmental dialogue session focused on the opportunities for natural gas to meet the state’s air emission reduction goals. The event attracted a dozen groups, including the National Resource Defense Council, Environmental Defense Fund, Sierra Club and Climate Resolve.
- More than 500 employees, friends and family members participated in Earth Week cleanup activities. We funded five environmental groups committed to helping clean up the bay, desert, mountains and watershed areas.
- We were the primary sponsor of the Water Education for Latino Leaders (WELL) conference, a forum to encourage participation in a long-term sustainable water policy.
- Representatives from 23 organizations attended our inaugural environmental non-profit luncheon at the Fullerton Arboretum. We addressed key environmental issues and awarded grants to the Ocean Institute, Amigos de Bolsa Chica and OC Coastkeepers.
- We sponsored several events for the Association of Women in Water, Energy and the Environment and funded annual memberships for 20 women employed by SoCalGas.
In addition, SoCalGas executives participated in environmental forums to provide an overview of natural gas’ role in achieving clean air goals now and in the future.