Supporting Active Military & Veterans, and Homelessness
We salute U.S. military and veterans for their service, and we're proud of our employees who have served in the armed forces. We're committed to hiring and retaining military veterans, veterans with disabilities and active military personnel; and we provide resources and career guidance when they return to work after active duty. SoCalGas is proud to partner with organizations dedicated to ending homelessness in our communities.
Some of the Organizations We Support
- Center for Asian Americans United for Self- Empowerment (CAUSE)
- Veteran Support: grant assisted with their program for veterans who are interested in increasing their accessibility and awareness of available veteran resources on behalf of APA Veterans.
- Political Institute: grant assisted in political skills training related to policy and local communities.
- Women in Power: grant assisted in their Women in Power Leadership Conference, which helped foster a networking community on leadership, inspiration and mentorship, empowering women to achieve their full leadership potential.
- New Directors for Veterans – we sponsor their annual NDVets Memorial 5K walk
- Foundation for Women Warriors – SoCalGas supports their Los Angeles and Orange County program areas with a stable foundation for women veterans with housing, childcare, employment and education. Our grant also provides short-term and long-term housing assistance to avoid the homelessness statistics.
- United Way of Greater Los Angeles – SoCalGas employees were the top team fundraisers and had the most participants of any corporate team for the fifth year in a row at United Way of Greater Los Angeles’ (United Way) HomeWalk 2017. The event is an annual 5K family run/walk that raises public awareness and funds to help end homelessness in Los Angeles County. Nearly 1,000 members of Team SoCalGas raised more than $109,000 for HomeWalk 2017. The funds raised by the event and several SoCalGas events and meetings helped United Way’s mission to end homelessness for individuals, veterans and families in Los Angeles County. More than 57,000 people are homeless in Los Angeles County.
- Little Tokyo Service Center – SoCalGas supported their Mental Health and Affordable Housing programs. LTSC develops affordable housing for low-income families and individual. Through our grant they are able to partner with over 15 community orgs and assist in 25 housing projects, 950 units of affordable housing with over 300 in the upcoming pipeline.
- Housing Works – SoCalGas supported the MIST Mobile Integrated Service Team program, which outreached to chronically homeless individuals and families who are diagnose with serious mental illness, addictions and other chronic health conditions.
- Union Station Foundation – SoCalGas supported their Homeless Family Services which serves their family services program. It provides onsite meals, supportable services and beds to about 200 family members and to their permanent housing facilities which houses about 45 families.
- 2017 Mayoral Housing, Transportation and Jobs Summit – SoCalGas supported the summit to discuss and research affordable housing development and mandates in the City of Los Angeles set forth by the State of Ca.
Our Veteran Workforce
Veterans represent about five percent of our workforce, and we continue to hire veterans in accounting and finance, field operations, information technology, project management, engineering and engineering support and business operations. For more information, see our Careers section.
We take part in a number of outreach events, career fairs and training opportunities. The core values of those who serve in the military — integrity, leadership, teamwork, commitment – are in line with our company's values.