Supporting Active Military & Veterans
We salute U.S. military and veterans for their service, and we're proud of our employees who have served in the armed forces. We're committed to hiring and retaining military veterans, veterans with disabilities and active military personnel; and we provide resources and career guidance when they return to work after active duty.
Organizations We Support
We fund organizations that help veterans, those that provide employment, philanthropic and volunteer opportunities. They include:
- New Directions for Veterans – We sponsor their annual Walk for Warriors fundraiser.
- Soldiers’Angels, which provides aid and comfort to service members and their families and the growing veteran population. Over the years, employees have donated supplies for Care packages to troops overseas and gave more than $30,000, which includes a challenge grant from the Sempra Energy Foundation.
- Supporting employees who have served or are in the U.S. military and recruiting more military veterans to SoCalGas. Through our VALOR program, we paired 32 employee volunteers with military experience as mentors for newly-hired veterans to facilitate a smooth transition.
- We are a founding partner of the Mayor’s Office of Veteran's Affairs.
- We've partnered with the Center for Energy Workforce Development (CEWD) and their Troops to Energy Jobs website to provide veterans a clear pathway to landing a job in the energy sector. Troops to Energy gives veterans a guided step-by-step roadmap to transfer their military training to a new energy job. The interactive tool helps identify any additional education and credentials needed, along with the resources to get that additional training. Veterans can locate and apply for jobs based on positions that best match their military experience and desired location.
- We supplied a $30,000 grant to help 2-1-1 Orange County develop and launch an Internet site that will help Orange County veterans and their families gain greater access to services. 2-1-1 Orange County is working with the Orange County Veterans and Military Families Collaborative to make sure that area agencies are trained to work specifically with service men and women as they transition back from deployment.
Our Veteran Workforce
Veterans represent about five percent of our workforce, and we continue to hire veterans in accounting and finance, field operations, information technology, project management, engineering and engineering support and business operations. For more information, see our Careers section.
Events and Awards
We take part in a number of outreach events, career fairs and training opportunities. The core values of those who serve in the military — integrity, leadership, teamwork, commitment – are in line with our company's values.