Community Notifications are issued when SoCalGas reports a release of materials to state agencies.
- SoCalGas has received reports of natural gas-like odors in the Playa del Rey area.
- At this time, we believe the odors are related to operations at our Playa del Rey storage field.
- A pressure relief valve opened as designed to prevent overpressure, resulting in a release of gas to atmosphere over the course of approximately 10 minutes.
- The venting has ceased and the odor has dissipated.
- The release did not present a health or safety risk to the community.
- Customers who suspect a natural gas leak should call SoCalGas at 1-800-427-2200.
- We inspect every home or business that reports an odor complaint to confirm it does not have an unsafe situation, and if we find a problem, we address it.