For first time Medical Baseline applicants. To apply online please have your medical provider’s email address ready.
For current permanent Medical Baseline customers that need to Recertify with their medical provider’s authorization (Part 1 & 2).
For current Medical Baseline customers that need to self-certify for continued enrollment (Part 1 only).
Watch and Learn More About the Program and How to Apply
If you or a member of your household has a medical condition for which additional space heating is necessary, this program may be able to provide additional natural gas at the baseline rate.
We Care About Your Health
We know that not all customers are alike. Some households may have family members with medical conditions that require more heat during cool weather. If you or a member of your household has a medical condition for which additional space heating is necessary, this program may be able to provide additional natural gas at the baseline rate.
Who Can Qualify?
You may qualify for the Medical Baseline Allowance program if you, another full-time resident of your home, or your patient:
- Is temperature-sensitive and requires additional space heating due to a medical condition.
- Is disabled.
- Has a life-threatening illness, compromised immune system, or other condition that requires heating.
Application Process for Customers and Caregivers
To apply or assist a patient in applying, please see instruction below for online and print:
You will need your medical provider's name and email address to apply online.
- Open the online application and complete the required fields in Part 1. After completing, you will be prompted to enter the medical provider's information. You can also add a personal message to your provider.
- You will receive an email verifying your email address. Once verified, the application will automatically be sent to your provider to complete Part 2. Please let them know to expect an email from SoCalGas.
- Once your provider completes Part 2, the form will automatically be returned to us for processing, and you will receive a confirmation email that the document was completed.
By mail, email or fax:
- Download and complete Part 1 of the application.
- Ask your medical provider to complete Part 2 of the application. If you are the medical provider (M.D./D.O./N.P./P.A.), please fill out Part 2 of the application yourself.
- Send the application to us via email, mail, or fax.
When notified to recertify, identify whether you have a permanent or non-permanent condition:
- The program provides a daily allowance of .822 therms (a standard unit of measuring heat energy), which is about 25 more therms per month at the lowest rate.
- Eligibility is only based on medical condition, NOT on income.
- Covered conditions include medical conditions for which additional space heating is necessary. Medical Provider's certification is required. We are now accepting applications via email from you and your medical provider.
- You can own or rent your housing.
- Service does not have to be in the patient’s name.
- A household can have the allowance in conjunction with other assistance programs.
- The allowance does not cover heating spas or pools for therapy.
- You may qualify even if your landlord bills you for your natural gas. The landlord will reflect the allowance on your billing statement.