While SoCalGas® is responsible for maintaining the natural gas lines that carry natural gas to your meter if you’re a property owner property manager tenant and/or occupant you're responsible for maintaining all customer-owned gas lines on your side of the meter.
Customer-owned natural gas lines include all piping that goes:
- From your natural gas meter to the appliances on your property.
- From a curbside natural gas meter to the home (when the meter is not right beside the home).
- From your meter underground to a building pool/spa heater barbecue or other natural gas appliances.
Not maintaining natural gas pipelines could result in problems from corrosion and leakage. To properly maintain your gas lines:
- Have them inspected periodically to identify unsafe conditions including corrosion (if the pipe is steel or other metal) and leaks.
- Repair any unsafe conditions immediately.
- A qualified professional such as a plumbing or heating contractor can assist you in finding inspecting and repairing your buried natural gas lines.
NOTE: If you own a master-metered natural gas line system the U.S. Department of Transportation requires you to notify your tenants of this information. You can do this by printing and posting the information on this page continuously in a common area frequented by your tenants.