The California Public Utility Commission (CPUC) approved a voluntary statewide program that offers mobile home park owners the opportunity to voluntarily convert their privately-owned master-metered/ natural gas and/or electric systems to a new direct utility system.
Costs for installing new, direct natural gas service up to individual resident meters, as well as to each mobile home, are covered by the program and will be paid for by SoCalGas ratepayers.
“We expect our maintenance costs to decrease by over $6,000 per year...
Our costs for reading meters and billing for usage will be eliminated which will allow our onsite staff time to devote to other park activities.”
- Foothills Park Owner, Pomona, CA
Program Benefits for Mobile Home Park Owners
Enhanced safety and reliability
Approved Mobile home parks will get new, professionally installed, natural gas distribution systems that can enhance safety and reliability and give added confidence of a new system maintained by SoCalGas.
- Peace of mind –Owners will no longer maintain privately-owned distribution systems. Owners, or in some cases, residents, will continue to be responsible for maintaining house lines that run from the utility meter to the resident’s home.
- Simplified management – Owners will no longer need to read utility meters, bill residents or respond to utility-related questions or concerns.
- Minimal costs – MHP program funding covers the costs of installing utility service from the current master meter to each home.
What is Covered Under the Program
- All costs for installing the new utility service distribution system up to individual resident meters To-The-Meter (TTM), as well as to each mobile home Beyond-The-Meter (BTM).
- Engineering, planning, and routine permits
- Advanced Meters
Mobile Home Park Owner Responsibilities
- Maintaining and operating existing sub-metered system(s) until conversion to direct utility service.
- Costs to connect common areas to the new meter.
- Obtaining bids, hiring a qualified licensed contractor to perform work beyond the meter and providing up-front costs for beyond the meter work if payment assignment option is waived with the assistance of a SoCalGas Account Executive.
- All environmental and cultural mitigation prior to conversion (if needed).
- Additional equipment necessary to meet building code compliance, such as power supply cords, GFIs, smoke or Carbon Monoxide detectors, etc.
- Obtaining cooperation from residents with customer sign up, construction notification etc. with the assistance of a SoCalGas Account Executive.
- Costs associated with acceptable abandonment of the legacy system.
- All other responsibilities included in the executed program agreement between owner and SoCalGas.
Mobilehome Park Utility Conversion Program is funded by California utility customers under the auspices of the California Public Utilities Commission (CPUC). This program is subject to all decisions, resolutions, and orders of the CPUC, including Decision R.18-04-018, as well as any modifications by the CPUC, as the it may, from time to time, direct in the exercise of its jurisdiction.