California Alternate Rates for Energy (CARE)
If you need help paying your natural gas bill each month, we may be able to help.
Through the CARE program, SoCalGas® offers a 20-percent discount to eligible customers on their monthly natural gas bill. Eligible customers who are approved within 90 days after starting new gas service will also receive a $15 discount on the Service Establishment Charge.
There Are Two Ways to Qualify
- Medi-Cal / Medicaid
- Medi-Cal for Families A & B
- Women, Infants and Children (WIC)
- CalWORKs (TANF)1 or Tribal TANF
- Head Start Income Eligible - Tribal Only
- Bureau of Indian Affairs General Assistance
- CalFresh (Food Stamps)
- National School Lunch Program (NSLP)
- Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP)
- Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
1 Includes Welfare-to-Work
2. Total income for all persons in your household meets the following income guidelines:
|Number of people in household||Total yearly household income not more than|
|*Includes current household income from all sources before deductions.|
Total household income is all revenues, from all household members, from whatever sources derived, including but not limited to: wages, salaries, interest, dividends, spousal and child support payments, public assistance payments, Social Security and pensions, rental income, income from self-employment and all employment-related non-cash income.
If you are recently unemployed, your household income will be calculated from the date of your unemployment. All other provisions on determining income, described above, still apply.
Conditions for Participation
- The gas bill must be in your name and the address must be your primary address.
- You must not be claimed as a dependent on another person’s income tax return other than your spouse.
- You must recertify your application when requested.
- You must notify SoCalGas within 30 days if you no longer qualify.
- You may be asked to verify your eligibility for CARE.
20% Discount for Qualified Businesses
Mobile Home Parks and Submetered Apartments
CARE application for residents of mobile home parks and submetered apartments that are billed by their property owner/manager:
The CARE program is funded by California utility customers and administered by SoCalGas under the auspices of the California Public Utilities Commission. Program funds will be allocated on a first-come, first-served basis until such funds are no longer available. This program may be modified or terminated without prior notice. Eligibility requirements apply; see the program conditions for details.