If you need help paying your natural gas bill each month, we may be able to help.
Through the CARE program, SoCalGas® offers a 20-percent discount to eligible customers on their monthly natural gas bill. Eligible customers who are approved within 90 days after starting new gas service will also receive a $15 discount on the Service Establishment Charge.
There Are Two Ways to Qualify
1. If you or another person in your household receives benefits from any of these programs:
- Medi-Cal / Medicaid
- Medi-Cal for Families A & B
- Women, Infants and Children (WIC)
- CalWORKs (TANF)1 or Tribal TANF
- Head Start Income Eligible - Tribal Only
- Bureau of Indian Affairs General Assistance
- CalFresh (Food Stamps)
- National School Lunch Program (NSLP)
- Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP)
- Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
1 Includes Welfare-to-Work
2. Total income for all persons in your household meets the following income guidelines:
|Number of people in household||Total yearly household income not more than|
|*Includes current household income from all sources before deductions.|
Total household income is all revenues, from all household members, from whatever sources derived, including but not limited to: wages, salaries, interest, dividends, spousal and child support payments, public assistance payments, Social Security and pensions, rental income, income from self-employment and all employment-related non-cash income.
If you are recently unemployed, your household income will be calculated from the date of your unemployment. All other provisions on determining income, described above, still apply.
Conditions for Participation
- The gas bill must be in your name and the address must be your primary address.
- You must not be claimed as a dependent on another person’s income tax return other than your spouse.
- You must recertify your application when requested.
- You must notify SoCalGas within 30 days if you no longer qualify.
- You may be asked to verify your eligibility for CARE.
Nonprofit Group Living Facilities
If you are operating a homeless shelter, drug rehabilitation center, halfway house, hospice or a nonprofit group living facility, your facility may be eligible for the 20-percent discount on your natural gas bill with the CARE program.
To Receive the CARE Discount, Your Facility Must:
- Have a tax-exempt status under Internal Revenue Code Section 501(c)(3).
- Be licensed by the applicable state agency.
- Use at least 70 percent of the facility’s natural gas consumption for residential purposes.
- Not be owned by government, unless it is a qualified nonprofit homeless shelter.
- With the exception of homeless shelters, all facilities must provide services such as meals, job development training or rehabilitation in addition to lodging.
- Homeless shelters must provide at least six beds per day or night for minimum of 180 days each year for persons who have no alternative residence.
- At the time of annual renewal of eligibility, the facility is required to share how money saved on the CARE program has benefited the residents of the facility.
- With the exception of homeless shelters, 100 percent of the residents at the facility must individually meet the current CARE income guideline.
- As of June 2015, each individual resident’s total annual income cannot exceed $31,860.
Mobile Home Parks and Submetered Apartments
CARE application for residents of mobile home parks and submetered apartments that are billed by their property owner/manager:
The CARE program is funded by California utility customers and administered by SoCalGas under the auspices of the California Public Utilities Commission. Program funds will be allocated on a first-come, first-served basis until such funds are no longer available. This program may be modified or terminated without prior notice. Eligibility requirements apply; see the program conditions for details.