Manage Higher Bills
This winter natural gas prices are higher than average. During colder weather, customers could experience a three to seven times increase in their natural gas usage and corresponding increases in utility bills. Learn more about other impacts that might increase your monthly bill and tips and tools to help manage it.
Saving Tips That Can Help You Save Money
- Have your air ducts tested for leaks and repair to save up to 30% on heating and cooling costs.
- Save on water heating costs by washing and rinsing your clothes in cold water.
- Save up to 10% on heating costs by lowering your furnace thermostat by five to eight degrees, if health permits.
- Reduce the temperature on your water heater. Lowering the temperature on your water heater or setting it at 120 degrees, can save up to 22% in energy costs.
- Take shorter hot showers.
- Clean or replace your furnace filters according to manufacturer recommendations.
- Install proper caulking and weather-stripping to save roughly 10 to 15 percent on heating bills.
- Fix leaky faucets and pipes. Hot water leaks cause increased demand on the water heater which increases natural gas use.
Savings potential is dependent on the individual customer’s circumstances. SoCalGas cannot guarantee customers’ savings level.