The Mobilehome Park (MHP) Utility Conversion Program is a statewide program that offers owners of mobile home parks the opportunity to replace their park’s energy distribution system with a new, professionally installed energy distribution system. Once the conversion is complete, residents will become direct utility customers.
Additional benefits for residents include access to technology that allows customers to monitor their energy usage, customer assistance programs, and energy efficiency rebates to help save energy and money.
Program Benefits for Mobile Home Park Residents
- Enhanced safety and reliability – Mobile home parks will get new, professionally installed, natural gas distribution systems that will enhance safety, reliability, and offer added confidence of a professionally installed natural gas system maintained by SoCalGas.
- Establishment Fees Waived – Upon transfer to direct natural gas utility service, we will waive customer credit checks, service deposits and service establishment fees for residents
- Enhanced customer service
- Our Advanced Meter technology empowers customers to monitor their energy usage online to help set and achieve savings and conservation goals.
- Our online and customer services available for energy-use questions or concerns.
- As part of the service transfer process, residents can request service technicians perform a natural gas appliance safety check inside their home.
- Access to Customer Assistance Programs and Services
- California Alternate Rates for Energy (CARE) provides a 20 percent rate discount. Residents already enrolled will have continued access to the program; visit: socalgas.com/care
- Energy Savings Assistance Program provides no-cost weatherization for income-qualified customers; visit: socalgas.com/improvements
- Medical Baseline Allowance provides an additional natural gas allowance at the lowest baseline rate, for qualified customers with doctor certified medical conditions; visit: socalgas.com/medical
- Energy efficiency rebates to help save energy and money; visit: socalgas.com/rebates
- Multiple ways to make bill payments; Online detailed billing information to help manage energy use and costs; visit socalgas.com/myaccount
What to Expect During the Construction Phase
As with all construction projects, there will be a level of temporary inconvenience that is difficult to determine; however, the following should be expected:
- Prior to and during construction, the utility will work with the mobile home park owners/managers to inform residents of the work and coordinate construction.
- Safety signs, digging, open trenches, noise, and dust
- Construction vehicles/crews and staging areas for material and tools.
- Temporary closures of areas of the mobile home park and main streets (traffic lane closure and rerouting).
- Each home should expect two inspections resulting in two brief natural gas service interruptions.
- The first is a pre-inspection by the “beyond the meter” contractor to identify any pressure leaks inside the homes.
- The second is a local agency inspection to ensure that new natural gas house lines pass a pressure test and that the new electrical system passes a grounding and electric flow test.
Becoming a Customer
- Residents don’t have to worry about any establishment fees, credit checks or deposit requirements. They are waived as part of the Utility Conversion Program.
- Approximately three months after construction begins, residents will receive a door hanger or mail with instructions on how to call us and set up your account.
- Residents will need to call us to become a natural gas customer.
- When residents call to start an account, they will need to provide either a Social Security number or two of the following:
- A State Issued Driver’s License
- A State Issued Identification Card
- A US Passport
- A Credit or Debit Card with your photo
- For additional acceptable forms of ID visit: SoCalGas: socalgas.com/verify-identity.
- Once the utility service is switched over to the new system, natural gas bills will come directly from SoCalGas. Residents will receive a final bill from the mobile home park for the natural gas used before the project began.
- Once the mobile home park has been converted, residents will become direct customers of SoCalGas and will be individually billed at current residential customer rates.
- Residents will be eligible to participate in customer programs that may help them conserve energy and save money on their natural gas bill.
- To learn more and manage services visit, My Account.
Mobilehome Park Utility Conversion Program is funded by California utility customers under the auspices of the California Public Utilities Commission (CPUC). This program is subject to all decisions, resolutions, and orders of the CPUC, including Decision R.18-04-018, as well as any modifications by the CPUC, as the it may, from time to time, direct in the exercise of its jurisdiction.