Sample Natural Gas Bill
1. Account number and service address
2. Account summary shows your previous balance and payment, plus current charges.
3. Due date and total amount due
4. The bar graph shows your natural gas usage over the past 13 months (if available). Log in to My Account and click on "Ways to Save" to see more detailed usage information.
5. Natural gas usage information for the billing period
6. Important messages and ways to manage your natural gas bill
7. For customers enrolled in CARE, the discount is reflected as a separate line item on your bill. Customers in the CARE program have a reduced Public Purpose Surcharge.
8. SoCalGas' monthly gas commodity cost per therm for the billing period.
9. We offer paperless billing and payment through My Account.
How is My Natural Gas Bill Determined?
Our rates are regulated and approved by the California Public Utilities Commission (CPUC). The Current Charges on your bill are based on three components:
- Customer Charge – based on days of service.
- Gas Transportation Cost – the cost to deliver natural gas.
- Gas Commodity – the cost of natural gas purchased by SoCalGas on behalf of its customers.
- Taxes and Fees – this includes the CPUC mandated Public Purpose Surcharge and any state or local fees and taxes.
What Determines the Commodity Cost?
How are Transportation Costs Calculated?
You can see the current Transportation Rates here.
How Does the Baseline Allowance Affect My Bill?
The Baseline Allowance is determined by the CPUC, under the direction of the State Legislature, to be the amounts of natural gas needed to meet the minimum basic needs of the average home. The goal of the Baseline Allowance is to encourage efficient use of natural gas. You will be billed at the lowest rate for natural gas usage below the Baseline Allowance. Usage above the Baseline Allowance is billed at a higher rate.
The baseline allowance is different for each climate zone in our service area. Your zone and baseline allowance are noted in the Current Charges area of your bill.
What Does the Billing Factor Mean?
What does the Public Purpose Surcharge Pay For?
What Other Charges Might I See on My Bill?
Charges From Other Companies
- Just Energy Solutions Inc. 1-877-226-3649
- HomeServe/HEIS 1-888-302-0137