Natural gas prices have reached unprecedented levels on the West Coast. SoCalGas continues to diligently work to secure cost-effective natural gas supplies on behalf of our residential and small business customers. The price of natural gas is determined by broader regional, national, and global markets and is passed on directly to our customers without markup. SoCalGas does not profit from the movement of gas commodity prices. We are here to help our customers understand their bill while preparing for the colder weather and increasing cost of energy. Visit our SoCalGas Newsroom for the latest stories and announcements.
How We Can Help
- We offer energy-savings tools, program tips, and services to help our customers save money, use less energy, and lower their monthly bills year-round.
- If you need financial assistance, we offer a wide range of programs and services that may help you save money on your natural gas bills.
- Residential and small business customers may also qualify for COVID-19 support or assistance.
- Sign up for email and text Bill Tracker Alerts through My Account to help monitor your natural gas consumption throughout the billing period.
- Eligible customers may sign up for a Level Pay Plan, which averages their annual natural gas use and costs over 12 months. Customers then pay an average bill amount each month instead of actual charges.
What Could Be Causing My SoCalGas Bill to Be Higher?
- Factors that could impact your bill include the cost of natural gas, weather, an increase in your appliance usage, your billing cycle, and past due bills. Learn more.
- The cost of natural gas has been higher nationwide, resulting in higher-than-average monthly natural gas prices.
- The price of natural gas is determined by regional and national markets and passed on directly to our customers. We do not set the cost of natural gas and do not earn additional profits from higher supply prices.
- SoCalGas is committed to delivering affordable natural gas to our customers. We continue to use a suite of tools to secure the best prices for the natural gas we purchase.
- New gas transportation rates, approved by the CPUC, went into effect on January 1, 2023. Residential average transportation rates increased by about 8% and small business transportation rate increased by about 5% on average. These transportation rate changes will allow us to continue upgrading our infrastructure, retain responsible, well-trained employees, and support the growth of diverse energy options.
Current and Historical Natural Gas Prices:
- Natural gas prices change monthly, and you can view current and historical prices to help plan your usage.
Understanding Your Bill
We are all looking for ways to save time and energy and reduce expenses. Understanding your monthly SoCalGas bill can help.
What Charges Make Up My SoCalGas Bill?
Our rates are regulated and approved by the California Public Utilities Commission (CPUC). Natural gas bills consist of three cost components:
- Natural Gas Commodity Charge – The cost of natural gas purchased by SoCalGas on behalf of its customers.
- Natural Gas Transportation Rates – The cost to deliver natural gas to a customer's home or business.
- Public Purpose Surcharge – A CPUC mandated charge to fund public purpose programs such as California Alternate Rates for Energy (CARE), the Energy Savings Assistance Program, energy efficiency, and research.
Taxes and fees vary depending on customer location and applicable regulations.
Learn more about how these charges are reflected on your bills.
June 2023 Rates
Factors Affecting Your Monthly Bills
Learn about some of the reasons your bills might fluctuate from month to month.
Natural Gas Prices
The costs to purchase and transport natural gas can fluctuate annually and throughout the year. Our transportation rates are regulated by the CPUC and change at least annually at the beginning of each year. Additionally, rates can sometimes change during the year as authorized by the CPUC. Gas commodity costs can vary seasonally or due to supply and demand conditions, inter-state pipeline capacities, and weather conditions.
Natural gas usage typically increases three to seven times during cold weather as we tend to use our home heater more frequently. The price of natural gas may fluctuate during warmer weather, but usage is historically lower. If health permits, you could save on heating costs by lowering your thermostat by three to five degrees.
Increase in Appliance Usage
Increased use of appliances can impact your bill. For example, water heaters work longer and harder during colder weather and could increase your natural gas usage. Having guests at home, cooking more, and leaving appliances on could also impact your bill.
Days Within Your Billing Cycle
There are typically 29-32 days in a billing cycle, depending on when meters are read for a particular area. However, some situations may change the number of billing days. For example, holidays can add up to four days to your billing cycle.
Past Due Amount
Any remaining past due amount included in your current bill will cause it to be higher.
Tools and Programs to Manage Your Monthly Bills
Learn about different tools and programs to help manage your bills.
We offer assistance programs for qualifying customers that could help with your bill, home energy use, and medically related heating needs.
Bill Payment Options
If you are struggling with high or past due bills, we offer payment extensions, payment plans, and other assistance.
Bill Tracker Alerts
Enroll in My Account to receive Bill Tracker Alerts via email or text to help monitor your natural gas consumption throughout the billing period. You can also learn how to analyze and lower usage to avoid surprises on your monthly bills.
Energy Savings Made Easy
Complete your Energy Profile with our Ways to Save tool to get a personalized household energy analysis and savings plan to help you keep track of your energy-efficiency progress and ultimately help you lower your bills.
Be Energy Efficient
Take advantage of the many tips and tools we offer to save energy. We offer rebates on energy-efficient appliance upgrades on Marketplace. You can also find simple tips to save, such as addressing sealing leaks or adjusting your thermostat.
Stay Safe and Save Year-Round
Learn more ways to reduce your energy bills and get tips on how to stay safe at home.